• A member of the Facebook group, Rig Veda Quotes, asked the question, WHAT IS THE KING OF ALL MANTRAS?
• We have decided that in this day an age of information technology and social media that it is more tangible to answer questions that are confusing people who profess to be in Sanatan Dharma. Therefore, Acharyaji has asked His admins to forward Him questions from social media sites. Where possible the Sri Narayan Dham will try and answer the questions as per Vedic injunctions.
• When we answer the questions, we have to take into cognizance the period we are all living in. Acharyaji explained last week that as there are four seasons in a year, similarly there are four recurring cycles called Yugas. It starts with Satya Yuga where there is 100% devotion to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sriman Narayan, and then it diminishes by 25% in Treta Yuga and in Dwapara Yuga it diminishes further by 50% and in Kali Yuga devotion to the Supreme Personality of Godhead is only 25%.
• When we answer the questions then we have to understand that this situation occurs after every four cycles and these ingredients of Kali Yuga are already pre-destined. In Kali Yuga if only 25% will have devotion to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sriman Narayan, then 75% will have devotion in diminishing value, right up to zero.
• When we attempt to answer these questions, we can see how much of love the Supreme Personality of Godhead has for all the living entities. In whichever percentage range you fall the Lord has created systems so that if you do not direct yourself to Him directly, then you will have an indirect system to which you can devote yourself to until you can devote yourself to Him directly.
• Sanatan Dharma is so comprehensive that even all the knowledge, which is contained in the 4 Vedas, the 108 Upanishads, the Vedanta Sutras, the Ramayan, the Mahabharat and the Dharma Sastras, they only make up a fraction of the knowledge in Sanatan Dharma, which in reality is infinite.
• Having 100% devotion to the Supreme Personality of Godhead does not mean you will have 100% knowledge of the knowledge that is within Sanatan Dharma. Knowledge in Sanatan Dharma is infinite but for the purposes of human evolution it has been codified into the four Vedas, the Upanishads, the Puranas, the Itihasas and the Dharma Sastras.
• When a Guru has to answer specific questions of this nature, then it becomes necessary to provide scriptural injunction, to verify that which the Guru is answering.
• Most of the comments Acharyaji read with regards to the post in the group were in line, however now we will give a clearer understanding as to which is the King of Mantras, and the relevance of all other mantras.
• There are authorized scriptures that Acharyaji will use to qualify His discourse. He starts by explaining that the root to Sanatan Dharma is through Vedanta which means the end of knowledge. The scriptures that are authorized in Vedanta are the Vedas, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Brahma Sutras. When we sift out Vedic injunctions to prove a Vedic truth, then those injunctions must be sought out from these three authorized scriptures. Supplementing these 3 authorized scriptures are the Itihasas and the Puranas. For Acharyaji to corroborate that these are the authorized scriptures He must find the Vedic injunctions which corroborates this.
• Chapter four of the Brhadaranya Kopanisad, Chapter 4:
“‘Just speech, your Majesty,’ said he. ‘Verily, by speech, your Majesty, a friend is recognized. By speech alone, your Majesty, the Ṛveda, the Yajurveda, the Sāmaveda, the [Hymns] of the Atharvans and Aṅgirases, Legends (itihāsa), Ancient lore (purana), Sciences (vidyā), Mystic Doctrines (upaniṣad), Verses (śloka), Aphorisms (sutra)”
• In the chapter four above Acharyaji has confirmed that the information which He will reveal to back up how He will conclude which is the King of all Mantras, are coming from the authorized scriptures that belong to Vedanta. Vedanta is the fundamental knowledge of Sanatan Dharma.
• Coming back to the love and compassion which the Supreme Personality of Godhead has for the living entities, we find the Puranas. The Puranas are spoken by Lord Brahma. When Lord Brahma is Sattva Guna He glorifies Lord Vishnu, when He is in Rajas Guna He glorifies Himself, when He is in Tamas Guna He glorifies Lord Shiva and when he is in mixed Gunas He Glorifies the Mother form as the Supreme Personality of Godhead.
• Why would God create this situation, where Lord Brahma would be giving different information in different Gunas? He does this to fulfil the criteria of the percentage of the living entities who will worship Him in Kali Yuga. As mentioned above in Satya Yuga 100% of living entities worship Lord Narayan. This percentage diminishes through the Yugas and is at 25% in Kali Yuga. This fits in perfectly with Gods plan, because if Lord Brahma spoke all the Puranas in Sattva Guna then those living entities impelled by Rajas and Tamas Guna would not have an opportunity to worship. Despite the fact that only 25% of devotion will be focused on the Supreme Personality of Godhead in Kali Yuga, God still takes care of the other 75% of living entities in human form by allowing Lord Brahma to be impelled by Rajas and Tamas Guna and create Puranas that can be followed by humans who are vibrating in Rajas and Tamas Guna.
• This is how compassionate God is. In whichever level you exist He gives you the opportunity to worship and ultimately reach Him. For example, the love parents have for their children will be equal and despite the intelligence of each child the parents will provide opportunity to educate all of their children. Similarly, God has provided facility for all of His children to worship by using the instrument of Lord Brahma to create Puranas in the 3 different mindsets of which humans are impelled in the material universe. Everyone has to undergo the three Gunas. This is inescapable, because the basic substratum of the universe is the 3 Gunas. When nothing exists, then in the subtle form material nature are these 3 Gunas. Sattva Guna, Rajas Guna and Tamas Guna. The Gunas are the modes of material nature. Sattva Guna is purity and truthfulness. Rajas Guna is action and passion. Tamas Guna is ignorance.
• Acharyaji asks if you can you have a dean of a university, who is highly educated, in Tamas Guna? – yes you can, because when we talk about the mode of ignorance in Sanatan Dharma, we do not mean ignorance in terms of your material knowledge. We mean ignorance in terms of you not realizing and understanding the absolute truth in Sanatan Dharma. You can be the highest educated person materially, but your mind can still be vibrating in the mode of ignorance, Tamas Guna.
• In a similar manner there are mantras that will be successful for you depending on which mode you are vibrating in. Mantras are condensed spiritual energy. Mantras will connect you to a specific Devi or Devata. In the Devi Mahatmyam which has 700 verses, you find mantras of Mother Lakhmi, Mother Kali and Mother Saraswati. Mother Kali will annihilate your negative qualities. Mother Lakshmi will maintain your you. Mother Saraswati will give you knowledge.
• Specifically, in Kali Yuga these mantras are valid, and they work, because if they are found in the Vedas they will work. God does not put anything in the Vedas that will not work.
• We stated that God has created the perfect science for the evolution of the soul through the human body. When you are in the human body there are two segments of education. The first is the Karma Khanda or the ritualistic portion and deity worship. Then there are the Upanishads when you want to achieve liberation or moksha.
• If you are in the Karma Khanda which is equivalent to being in primary or high school, then the mantras mentioned above will work for you. These mantras are designed for those in Tamas Guna and Rajas Guna.
• If you want to go to university then you will go to the third segment of the scientific evolution of the soul in a human body.
• The Vedas are the essence of the Supreme Personality of Godhead; therefore, they have to be beneficial to everyone. In Kali Yuga only 25% will have the qualification from a previous lifetime to be in university. The other 75% have to sustain themselves as humans and mantras have also been specifically designed for those people. There is no wrong, it is a state of evolution.
• Acharyaji uses the example of His own Satsang. When He first started Satsang there were hundreds of devotees who now no longer attend His Satsang. Acharyaji goes on to explain that this Satsang is in Sattva Guna, going on to Suddha Sattva. Those devotees who left, all fell back to high school and primary school. In this Satsang eventually you have to give up meat, alcohol, cigarettes, fighting, abusive language jealousy, anger, pride etc. Lots of people came to the university quickly because the Guru was giving lots of ‘lollipops’ (e.g. healing of illness). They became more interested in the ‘lollipops’ and forgot the real reason the Guru opened this institution which is to teach spiritual science from the Vedas. Acharyaji would have assisted a devotee with their illness for example so that devotee could then attend Satsang and listen to the Vedas. All the devotees who have left have gone back to meat eating, consuming alcohol, smoking, committing adultery. They went back to all their old habits which means the university did not fail them, but they failed the university.
• The devotees who left no longer use the mantra that Acharyaji uses, because the mantra and what they wanted from this university was not in sync. The mantra is a seed. Acharyaji uses the example of a coconut tree which is 30-40m long. The coconut tree lives in its seed in the subtle form. In the gross form it becomes the 30-40m tree. Similarly, that is the potency of a mantra in seed form.
• Acharyaji chants the AUM mantra. From this mantra emanated all the universes. In the subtle form it is AUM and in the gross form it is everything that you see.
• Acharyaji has explained now that all the mantras that are found in the Vedas can be used. They are there to be used. It depends on which level your soul has evolved to. There 8.4 million species, then you get the human body. In the human body itself there are 3 different levels of the evolution of the mind.
• All mantras that appear in the Vedas can be used. They have the potential to be beneficial to you if you use them in their prescribed form.
• Acharyaji moves on to the KING OF MANTRAS. He asks how we will know which is the king of mantras and where would we get that information from? – we will get it from the authorized scriptures which are the Vedas, the Bhagavad Gita and the Brahma Sutras.
• Acharyaji starts with the BRAHMA SUTRAS. From Lord Sri Ramanuj’s Sri Bhasya, Chapter 3, verse 3.3.43:
“43. On account of the abundance of indicatory marks (the Nārāyaṇa-Anuvāka deals with the object of worship in all the meditations); for, it (indicatory mark) is stronger (than the context). That also (has been stated by Jaimini).”
Commentary by Lord Sri Ramanuj:
“The Taittirīya text, immediately after the Dahara-Vidyā, declares the in the following way: ‘The thousand-headed God, whose eyes see everything … who is Nārāyana, the Imperishable, supreme master’”
• THE BRAHMA SUTRA IS DECLARING LORD NARAYAN AS THE SUPREME LORD.
• There is an Upanishad called the Narayana Upanishad in which it is stated that the entire Rigveda, Yajurveda and Samaveda are to know LORD NARAYAN. ALL THE VEDAS CONCLUDE THAT LORD NARAYAN IS THE SUPREME PERSONALITY OF GODHEAD.
• In the Bhagavad Gita there is a request by Arjuna to Lord Sri Krishna. He requests that Lord Sri Krishna show him His universal form. The verse which Acharyaji read from the Brahma Sutra which speaks about the 1000 headed God is speaking about the universal form of Lord Narayan, with thousands of heads, thousands of hands, thousands of eyes.
• Who shows this universal form of Lord Narayan to Arjuna? – Lord Sri Krishna. Who is Lord Sri Krishna? – He is an avatar of Lord Narayan. Avatar means ‘when God descends’. When Lord Narayan descended, He descended in the form of Lord Sri Krishna. Initially when He descended, He descended in His original form to His mother and father and they requested Him to withdraw His other two hands. This is stated in the Puranas and the Puranas are authorized scriptures.
• The Vedas, the Puranas and the Bhagavad Gita are stating that Lord Narayan is the Supreme Personality of Godhead.
• There is a story in the Mahabharata. Grandfather Bhisma of the Mahabharata is self-realized, and God realized. Whilst Bhisma was awaiting his death on a bed of arrows, Yudhishthira enquired from Lord Sri Krishna that Kali Yuga is approaching, and which is the best form of worship in the approaching Kali Yuga after the departure of the Lord. Lord Sri Krishna referred him to Bhisma and Bhisma answered ‘CHANT THE THOUSAND NAMES OF LORD VISHNU’
• Lord Sri Krishna referred Yudhishthira and Lord Sri Krishna heard and corroborated this answer Himself.
• There is the Kali Santarana Upanishad which is not a principal Upanishad, it is a minor Upanishad. In this Upanishad the same question is asked and Narada Muni answers that in Kali Yuga the name of Narayana must be chanted. Narad Muni advises to use the mantra ‘HARE RAMA HARE RAMA, RAMA RAMA, HARE HARE. HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA, KRISHNA KRISHNA, HARE HARE’
• HARE MEANS LORD VISHNU WHEN HE REMOVES YOUR DELUSIONS.
• Therefore, the mantra ‘Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare’ means:
‘VISHNU RAMA VISHNU RAMA, RAMA RAMA, VISHNU VISHNU. VISHNU KRISHNA VISHNU KRISHNA, KRISHNA KRISHNA, VISHNU VISHNU.’
• The above instruction is by Narada Muni who is one of the twelve Mahajanas or authorities whom the Lord empowered to give information when requested.
• Which is the king of all mantras? – OM NAMO NARAYANAYA
• YOU HAVE TO BE QUALIFIED TO USE THIS MANTRA. The qualifications are that you must submit 100% to your Guru. When you submit 100% to your Guru, then you will use this mantra. Up until your total qualification you cannot use this mantra. However, it is THE KING OF ALL MANTRAS. The mantra is only effective to those who have taken initiation from a Guru in the SRI SAMPRADAYA.
• Acharyaji explains the exhilarating experience devotees have had when He whispered this mantra in their ears during initiation.
• Acharyaji explains that the new procedure for initiation at the Sri Narayan Dham will be in two parts. In the first part you will receive the mantra and after a year’s apprenticeship, should you qualify, then He will brand you on both arms. He explains that everyone wants to take initiation, but no one wants to live within the prescripts that come with initiation.
• The Narayan mantra is the king of all mantras and Acharyaji goes on to qualify it by reading a verse from the Vedartha Sangraha. This is written by the Adi Guru of Sri Vaishnavism as a whole. The first Guru of Sri Vaishnavism in this Kali Yuga, Lord Sri Ramanuj.
• Vedartha Sangraha by Lord Sr Ramanuj, Verse 141- 143:
“141. Its explanation is as follows: The root of all the Vedas is said to be pranava, the sacred syllable ‘Aum’. The root of pranava is the sacred letter ‘A’. The whole of the Veda, being the modification of pranava, is resolved into pranava, its cause. Pranava, the modification of the letter ‘A’, is resolved into its cause ‘A’. He who is named by that ‘A’ which is the root of pranava, is the supreme God. The root of all names is ‘A’ and the root of all entities, that bear those names, is Narayana. This Narayana, who is the root of all entities named by the expression which is the root of all names, is the supreme God.”
“142. The Lord says, “I am the beginning and the end of the whole universe (Gita, 7: 6)”, ‘There is nothing else higher apart from Myself (Gita, 7:7)’ and ‘I am the letter “A” among the letters (Gita, 10: 33)’. The Shruti also lays down, “A” is the designation of Brahman”, and ‘All speech is “A” ‘. All speech evolves out of ‘A’ and all entities constituting the subject-matter of all speech evolves out of Brahman. Therefore, as Brahman is affirmed to be the meaning of ‘A’, Narayana whose name ‘A’ is, is determined to be the Supreme.”
“143. Of that Narayana, transcendent supremacy is predicated in the Narayana-Anuvaka, commencing with ‘Thousand-headed God’, which anuvaka has as its sole purport the determinate characterization and exposition of the ultimate reality. The supreme principle is what is so determined by this section, which has no other function than such determination. Other sections whose purport is other than this determination, may designate the ultimate principle in other ways, through other terms. The Sutra-kara, in the aphorism ‘The instruction is from the standpoint of the Shastra as in the case of Vamadeva (B.S. 1, 1, 31)’, conveys the decision, that what is named by other names in sections not devoted to the determination of the supreme principle must be taken as one with the principle, which is specifically designated and determined in this section with the sole purport of such specific designation and determination.”
• Lord Sri Ramanuj reconciles this truth beautifully and in a rock solid fashion.
• ULTIMATELY THE KING OF ALL MANTRAS IS : OM NAMO NARAYANAYA
• Audience member enquires about the Om Namo NARAYAN mantra and Acharyaji says that this mantra can be used by those that are not initiated.
• Acharyaji concludes. There are four seasons called yugas. In Satya Yuga there is a prescription on how to worship which is MEDITATION. In Treta Yuga the prescription for worship is gorgeous rituals and sacrifices. In Dwapara Yuga the prescription for worship is to worship the deity in the temple.
• In Kali Yuga the prescription for worship is SANKIRTANA YAJNA.
• Sankirtana Yajna is glorifying the Lord through discourses and chanting His name in a Satsang.
• If you are using meditation in the age of Kali Yuga then you are in the wrong yuga. There are a multitude of corporate Gurus who are making lots of money by selling meditation. They are in the mode of passion. Meditation is not prescribed in Kali Yuga. In Kali Yuga the prescription for worship is constant remembrance of Gods names.
• Attending Satsang is the prescription of worship in Kali Yuga, but THE CHOICE IS ALWAYS YOURS. Kali Yuga is the fastest way to reach God and salvation. All you have to do is recite the mantra OM NAMO NARAYANAYA. However to be qualified to chant the mantra you have to be initiated. Even if you take initiation, it means nothing if you do not live within the code and conduct of initiation. You have to live with the code and conduct of initiation until the day you die.
• In our effort to show that the OM NAMO NARAYANAYA mantra is the king of all mantras we have not discarded the other mantras along the way. Whichever station you are in life, to whichever level you have evolved and whichever mantras are given from authorized scriptures, then you may practice those mantras. But if you want salvation and you are sick and tired of your material life then give up all your vices and take initiation from a Sri Sampradaya Guru and you will be given the pin code of the KING OF ALL MANTRAS.